What is Enterprise Mobility? An Enterprise Mobility Definition
A Definition of Enterprise Mobility
Enterprise mobility describes the trend of a greater number of employees working outside the office and using mobile devices and cloud services to perform business tasks. With the rise of smartphones and tablets a few years ago, the workforce began to shift toward mobility. Mobile applications and social media, especially those connected with cloud computing and offering mobile collaboration features, also contributed to the emergence of enterprise mobility.
Enterprise mobility is particularly prominent among companies that rely on field operations and field services to service end consumers, as well as in field sales operations. But increasingly, mobility is becoming the norm among companies which historically relied on the traditional central office model.
Challenges Associated with Enterprise Mobility
A Gartner study shows that the innovation rate in mobile devices, social software, and cloud computing accelerates faster than the enterprise adaptation rate, so IT organizations that do not adapt to enterprise mobility lose their relevance. The study also finds that enterprises often struggle with mobile governance, or the management of the people, policy, and process issues. Because enterprises organize their people into silos to improve efficiency, it becomes difficult for those enterprises to solve mobility challenges because the solutions often span several operational domains.
The rise of enterprise mobility also saw the rise of bring your own device (BYOD) policies. These policies posed a slew of new challenges for IT, as brand new security issues began to occur. If they are to succeed, BYOD policies must include input from users, business units, human resources, legal, support personnel, application developers, and the networking team. Companies must realize that they cannot focus on a single issue to solve enterprise mobility challenges; rather, they need to bring all stakeholders into the fold to create truly productive and effective enterprise mobility.
Why Embrace Enterprise Mobility?
According to Global Industry Analysts, the global market for enterprise mobility will reach $218 billion by 2018. So, why is mobility so popular, and what can it do for your enterprise? Kevin Benedict offers a few top reasons to embrace enterprise mobility:
- Increased speed or tempo of operations to gain a competitive advantage
- Efficient data collection so better and faster decisions can be made
- Quicker reporting of events and KPIs to a wider audience to provide full situational awareness and promote good decision making and issue resolution
- Improved workforce productivity due to real-time data collection, artificial intelligence, and reporting
- Reduced expenses and waste due to inefficient resource allocation
- Improve visibility to remote operations and projects, enabling better data-driven decisions
- Provide more collaboration faster, with remote workers contributing to the decision-making
- Higher profits due to efficiency gains
10 Specific Benefits of Instituting Enterprise Mobility
Steve Bynghall, a researcher at the Digital Workplace Group, outlines the ten specific advantages that he sees resulting from enterprise mobility:
- Portability – Extend digital communication and capability to all employees, leading to engagement
- Availability – Increase productivity and deliver critical operational information in real time
- Sharing – Enhance customer service and encourage knowledge transfer and learning
- Access data in context – Access critical knowledge to provide better customer service and enhance productivity
- Capture data in real time – Access business intelligence in real time and achieve better productivity through process involvement
- Improved user experience – Better engagement and higher adoption among your workforce
- Personal ownership of devices – Reduce costs and increase adoption and engagement
- System independence – Gain process efficiency and reduce costs
- Geolocation – Improve the process and enhance productivity
- In-built camera – Scan data and record video and photos for knowledge sharing for improved processes and enhanced productivity
While adopting enterprise mobility may seem daunting, mobile enterprise software solutions assist organizations in connecting entire teams quickly and easily. The best enterprise mobility software solutions enable enterprises to better manage and optimize business resources in the field, including seamless interaction between field workers, office staff, and back-office functions.