Committing to field service automation transformation is not a one-off decision. Rather, it is a journey that involves people, time, and alignment across the business and IT on key metrics, processes, and technology.
Step 1: Technology Selection and Managing Change
Once you have selected your preferred field service management (FSM) technology to automate your scheduling, it's essential to make sure that your business operations, KPIs, and goals are clearly reflected in the system. To ensure this happens, it's important to involve the right people in the process. This includes your field representatives, as they are directly impacted by the new solution. They'll have unique insights and will be helpful for adoption when the system is rolled out. Involving the field team drives a deeper understanding of the system and the business goals, and enables them to provide input to make sure their needs are met. It has been shown that involving field teams in the design is an important component of managing the change associated with new technology and processes and helps increases adoption across the enterprise.
In addition to detailing your goals and managing change, it is essential to make sure that the system design and configurations are done based on the technology’s best practices and tailored to your need. This is where it is important that you engage a services team that has a deep understanding of the product, your industry, and goals.
Lastly, the data that is used to populate the system needs to be valid and contain all the information needed for the system to work properly. As we say, garbage in, garbage out. With clean data, the system will work properly from the beginning and make future changes easier as you have been using the correct information and you won't need to start the process over.
It is highly important for you to partner with your FSM system’s experts to work on precise design, configuration, and data representation so that your onboarding process will be as smooth as possible.
Step 2: System Tuning to Maximize the Value
After the go live, your business goals and the requirements that dictated initial system configuration, inevitably evolve. To ensure ongoing success, it’s important to acknowledge those business changes and to periodically revisit the initial FSM implementation. To get the most out of the solution, it is once again important to work with the relevant experts to reach the desired results.
At Click, we have developed the following practices to help tune and maximize the business benefits of the solution:
- Optimization Diagnostic: Click’s Optimization Experts provide a snapshot of the underlying issues preventing the most efficient processes. This includes an investigation of the many factors that contribute to a less than desired schedule quality, including data quality, configuration, user adoption, and schedule policies. Our Optimization Experts will deliver a summary report of all findings and present recommendations that provide a detailed plan for immediate and long-term actions.
- Optimization Technical Layer Review: Click’s experts provide an analysis of configurations, data, and operational constraints after the system has been in use for a period of time in order to identify remedial action. This review is the cornerstone of enabling your organization to reach the full potential of optimized service automation.
- System Usage Review: The review entails an analysis of how well the system is being utilized. The Usage Review analyzes the level of manual processes that are involved or whether the system’s defined rules are being violated. The review uncovers if the system being utilized properly and highlights the limitations to improvements the system can deliver. Once the main usage processes are identified, we analyze the motivation using these patterns and work with your organization to optimize the system.
- Workforce Planning Review: This service reviews that the workforce is planned efficiently enough to allow significant productivity improvements. Aspects such as geographic and skills coverage, sufficient capacity, and other items are crucial for operational efficiency. Identification of any primary bottlenecks and breaking those logjams is a key for improvement.
- Schedule Optimization Tuning: Lastly, we use your data to focus on precisely matching your business goals to the system’s automatic decision-making functionality. The service involves reviewing your current scheduling policy, identifying any gaps, and fine-tuning the policy. These changes are based on business-level conversations with the project team and field representatives (such as regional managers) that help identify current business goals and acceptable KPI trade-offs. Once an agreement has been reached with your team, an implementation of the recommended changes will commence.
At Click, we’ve learned through thousands of customer engagements that this is the best path to choose in order to achieve significant productivity gains. Through our partnership with your organization, we enable you to mature along with your solution and help you understand which levers to pull to enhance growth. This should help you to increase the level of your system’s automation, allow your system to better comply with the business goals defined, and increase your users' adoption.
Below are some success stories from customers that went through this journey with us:
HomeServe, a Home Emergency Repairs Business
- Increased utilization 4%
- Reduced travel time 11%
- Increased their ability to schedule simple work to seasonal techs by 5 times
- Reduced missed appointment windows by 12%
- Reduced manual intervention in the schedule significantly
SGS, the World's Leading Inspection, Verification, Testing, and Certification Company
- Increased productivity 20%
- Increased revenue per headcount by 9%
- Reduced travel time 30%
Contact your Click representative to learn more about these services.
Learn how you can benefit from Click's Optimization Services.