Top 50 Chief Information Officers (CIOs) Tools, Resources and Blogs
CIOs’ job descriptions are just as diverse as the titles people use for them: Chief Information Officer, Chief Innovation Officer, and Information Technology Director, among others. No matter what you call them, CIOs have the difficult job of getting teams to collaborate with everyone on the same page. They also are responsible for a company’s technological map and direction, including proposing budgets, making purchases, supervising IT specialists and workers, and managing IT-related projects.
Hundreds of companies, enterprises, organizations, and individual CIOs offer services, tools, and blogs to ease some of the burden on CIOs. We have waded through the clutter and found the best resources, blogs, and tools for CIOs. Our top picks represent the most trustworthy information from top experts and industry leaders. We’ve included resources that are useful and offer a variety of applications, blogs with the most up-to-date information and trending topics, and tools that provide the most innovative solutions. Our top 50 selections for CIOs are listed here, in no particular order.
CIO.com is a resource hub for CIOs, IT leaders, and those who work with and around them. Over the past 25+ years, CIO has grown to include insight and analysis on information technology trends and roles in business goals, making it a perfect resource for CIOs.
Three resources we like from CIO.com:
- Shadow Cloud Services Pose a Growing Risk to Enterprises
- CIO Executive Events
- IT’s Next Top Model: Conquering Information Overload with Data Modeling
The website of the U.S. Chief Information Officer and the Federal CIO Council, CIO.gov is an important resource for information on Federal IT. The mission of CIO.gov is to keep the public informed about the government’s actions toward closing the technology gap between the private and public sectors.
Three resources we like from CIO.gov:
- CIO Council Collaborates with ACT-IAC for a Shared Services Forum
- Participants in Open Data Roundtables Guide USDA on Ways to Provide High Quality Data to Users
- Government Mobile and Wireless Security Baseline
Chuck Hollis, the Chuck behind Chuck’s Blog, was with EMC for 18 years and recently jointed VMWare as Chief Strategist. Chuck’s Blog offers his “perspectives on technology, information, challenges… and opportunities,” and covers topics perfect for CIOs, from software-defined storage to challenging time-honored truths in the IT business.
Three posts we like from Chuck’s Blog:
- Losing My Religion
- Why a Hybrid Cloud Is So darn Appealing To Enterprises
- Making the Case for Software-Defined Storage
A publication of ECT News Network, TechNewsWorld is a popular destination for readers who want to know the latest about the world of technology. IT decision makers and CIOs especially enjoy TechNewsWorld’s exclusive interviews focusing on cutting-edge breakthroughs.
Three posts we like from TechNewsWorld’s Tech Blog:
- Loving Linux: Ain’t Nothin’ Like the 1st Time
- Why You Should Still Care About Moore’s Law
- Beacons Hit the Retail Spotlight
Arun Manansingh is the voice behind A CIO’s Voice. Currently CIO at the Rishi Venture Group LLC, Arun writes about his experiences as a CIO and offers advice, guidance, and humor perfect for other CIOs, executives, and those looking to become a corporate leader.
Three posts we like from A CIO’s Voice:
- From the Other Side of the Table – CIO Questions to Potential Employers
- 4 Ways to Overcome Obstacles and Rethink the CIO Role
- A Project Score Card
Gartner, Inc. is a leading information technology research and advisory company. Gartner, Inc. relies on its resources – Gartner Research, Gartner Executive Programs, Gartner Consulting, and Gartner Events – to help clients research, analyze, and interpret “the business of IT within the context of their individual role” so they can make the right decisions every time; so, CIOs rely on Gartner.
Three resources we like from Gartner Executive Programs:
- Gartner Webinars
- The Selfie Marshall McLuhan anticipated 50 years ago, but as CIO you might miss
- Executive Summary – Taming the Digital Dragon: The 2014 CIO Agenda
Of course, The Wall Street Journal is known for being an authoritative news source with expert reports and analysis. Its CIO Journal, a blog, lives up to its parent publication’s status and includes the latest technology news, the CIO Report with exclusive reporting and analysis, and more.
Three posts we like from CIO Journal:
- The Morning Download: CIOs Split Into Two Classes of Leaders, Research Shows
- The “Recombinant” Nature of Digital Innovations
- So You Want to Be a CEO? Executive Coaches Share Tips with CIOs
Founded by Dr. Richard L. Routh, the Institute for CIO Excellence trains IT Executives to become CIOs who will create value for their organizations. The Institute offers CIE Certification Courses, CIO Officer Training, and CIO Coaching.
Three resources we like from The Institute for CIO Excellence:
- CIO Newsletter: Only for CIOs who want to Improve Relationships with their other CXOs
- IT Themes and Trends
- Strategic Planning from the Corporate Point of View
A “leading provider of news, analysis, opinion, information, and services for the UK It community,” Computer Weekly also advocates for UK IT professionals and the role of technology in the private and public sectors. Computer Weekly is a great resource for CIOs because it provides information and resources on the web, on mobile devices, and through face-to-face events. ComputerWeekly is a division of TechTarget.
Three posts we like from ComputerWeekly:
- The internet of things is coming: Is your datacenter ready?
- GCHQ produces BYOD guidelines for organisations
- Banks are not contemplating core system replacement
CIOZone aims to provide an interactive experience so that users can become active participants in their community and take part in professional philanthropy. To that end, CIOZone offers an online meeting place for CIOs seeking to network and collaborate with their peers from anywhere, any time.
Three resources we like from CIOZone:
The View from Forrester is the blog from Forrester Research; it includes articles detailing best practices and analysis of hot issues and trends that impact all areas of the IT world. As part of the ZDNet family, The View from Forrester is a trusted source for CIOs familiar with ZDNet’s popular news coverage and analysis on the issues that matter most to IT professionals and CIOs.
Three posts we like from The View From Forrester:
- Cloud computing enters its second stage, hypergrowth ensues
- Reset on big data – or miss the big change
- Things Run Amok: If Dr. Seuss could comment upon the Internet of things…
For CIOs looking to achieve Jave/OSGi server runtimes that meet their needs, Apache Geronimo is an open source server runtime that integrates the best open source projects to do just that. The addition of the Apache Geronimo Eclipse Plugin 3.0.1 enhanced the OSGi programming model, making it an even better solution for CIOs.
- Build servers that are distributed under the Apache Software License
- Provide runtimes tat meet the needs of developers, administrators, and system integrators, among others
- Integrate with the best open source tools available, like Eclipse
13. RichCopy 4.0
A free utility from Ken Tamaru of Microsoft, RichCopy first was developed in 2001 and has been updated regularly as needs evolve in IT. RichCopy provides the solution to copying thousands of files while preserving their attributes, including security descriptiors, and makes a simple, time-consuming task so much simpler for CIOs.
- Multithreaded copying tool, so it can open multiple threads simultaneously, allowing for many files to be copied in parallel
- Pause and resume file copy operations – pick up where you left off if you lose network connectivity
- Customizable granular controls
- Filter files, save attributes, adjust cache size, and more
Intended to help CIOS think more strategically to identify and solve key problems and maximize their leadership skills, CIO Insight provides information from top IT leaders and industry experts. As “the voice of the CIO Community,” CIO Insight offers everything a CIO could need to understand evolving technology and communicate effectively with corporate management.
Three posts we like from CIO Insight:
- Are Your Virtual Servers Safe?
- How a Security Company Zapped Zombie Zero
- What to do When a Data Breach Occurs
Scalable Software develops tools to assist CIOs in reducing compliance risk and help IT Asset Managers and Software Asset Managers reduce waste and costs. Scalable’s SaaS products and tools are a great fit for CIOs who need a solution for their changing needs. The resources available on Scalable’s site – their blog, white papers, and video library – are just as useful for CIOs.
Three resources we like from Scalable:
- VM License Costs: 5 Areas Where Using More VMs May Lead to Unexpected
- Software Portfolio Rationalization
- Next Generation Asset Management and IT Financial Analytics: Optimizing IT Value in a World of Change
TechRepublic aims to help CIOs and IT decision makers choose technologies and strategies to improve their businesses. TechRepublic’s strategy is to fill its site with original content by IT professionals, peer-to-peer advice, and a library of professional resources. The blogs, forums, and webcasts are just a few of the resources CIOs will want to peruse from TechRepublic.
Three resources we like from TechRepublic:
- Interactive Infographic: A Personal Training Guide for Your Journey to the Cloud
- Consolidating Active Directory Domains and Forests
- Microsoft details plan to move its workload into Azure cloud
With massive volumes and varieties of information and data, CIOs and other executives need a solution to put that valuable business asset to work. HP Analytics and Data Management Services include information consultants, business analytics experts, and data scientists to efficiently process and analyze your data so that CIOs can get back to putting the information from the data to good use.
- Big data discovery experience services
- Customer analytics services
- Foresight situational awareness solution
- Interactive Media command center
- Records management
- Compliance and operational archiving
Cost: Contact for a quote
A Linkedin group for CIOs, the Chief Information Officer Network includes discussions by and for CIOs. Joining the group results in receiving daily or weekly activity updates, or you can browse existing discussions to see which content and information is most relevant to you.
Three discussions we like from Linkedin CIO Network:
- Questions about Cloud Computing
- CIO Must Write Code
- With the failure rate of IT projects so high, what should the CEO do about it?
The Joulemeter project, part of Microsoft Research efforts, seeks to improve energy efficiency in computing devices and infrastructures. The Joulemeter, for computational energy measurement and optimization, is the resulting modeling tool, and it is used to improve power provisioning costs and operating expenses for data centers, mobile battery management, and more.
- Estimates the energy usage of a VM, computer, or software
- Measures the hardware resources (CPU, disk, memory, screen, etc.) being used
- Converts the resource usage to actual power usage based on automatically learned realistic power models
Cost: FREE Version 1.2 research preview
InformationWeek provides a venue for CIOs, CTOs, IT VPs and managers, and other IT professionals to join and learn about and share their experiences with products, technologies, and hot technology trends. From nine technology and vertical communities led by subject matter experts, to live chats and reader-generated discussion boards, InformationWeek is an unparalleled resource for CIOs.
Three resources we like from Strategic CIO:
- The Frictionless Enterprise
- 9 Technologies That Power New York City
- Dealing with the Complexities of Application-centric Data Management
Atos’ Ascent blog shares the company’s thought leadership and innovation on the latest trends. CIOs will find opinions, experiences, and expertise from Atos employees, including thought leadership on a variety of business issues particularly focused within the CIO domain.
Three posts we like from the Ascent blog:
- Does IT still stand for “Information Technology”?
- Introducing energy efficient benefits while defining your network
- A Summer full of events. What can businesses learn from it? – Part 1
A tool from Windows Sysinternals, Disk2vhd v2.01 creates VHD (Virtual Hard Disk – Microsoft’s Virtual Machine disk format) versions of physical disks for use in Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines (VMs). Disk2vhd uses Windows’ Volume Snapshot capability to create consistent point-in-time snapshots of volumes CIOs and their IT teams want to include in a conversion.
- Users can run Disk2vhd on a system that is online
- Creates the VHDs on local volumes, even those being converted
- User interface lists the volumes present on the system
- Copies the data contents for volumes that are selected
CEB, “the world’s leading member-based advisory company,” has 30 years of experience providing organizations with insights and solutions necessary to evolve along with changing business practices. CEB’s advanced research and analytics allows them to work with top companies to share, analyze, and apply proven practices to increase profitability and reduce costs and risk. CIOs will be most interested in the CEB CIO Leadership Council, which offers a wide range of resources for CIOs to provide “insight and actionable solutions to transform IT.”
Three resources we like from CEB CIO Leadership Council:
Logicalis Communication and Collaboration Solution combines voice, applications for collaboration, and video technologies to create an IT environment that brings employees, customers, and partners together. Plus, CIOs can rest a little easier knowing their organization has provided a work environment that promotes networking opportunities and collaboration for more efficient and effective communication and productivity.
- Unified communications to stay ahead of the competition
- Collaborative Applications – web conferencing, presence-enabled systems, instant messaging, and more
- Face-to-face experiences regardless of location
Cost: Contact for a quote
Simplify your IT management with ManageEngine IT360. With IT360, CIOs can go mobile and conduct real-time IT management anywhere, any time with an iPad. “A comprehensive unified monitoring solution for complete management of your IT infrastructure,” ManageEngine IT360 eliminates the hassle of using several tools to manage applications, networks, servers, and traffic.
- Out-of-the-box support with an option for an integrated service desk
- Unified view of IT
- Enterprise-level solutions
- Reporting and dashboards
- Integrated ITSM
Cost: Contact for a quote
Cliff Saran’s Enterprise blog is the blog of Cliff Saran, managing editor of Computer Weekly. His hope is that his posts serve the purpose of “unraveling IT hype for useful CIO strategy,” and his posts cover trending and hot topics in IT, include interviews with other CIOs and executives, and offer advice to those in the industry.
Three posts we like from Cliff Saran’s Enterprise blog:
- CIOs need to nurture raw IT talent to power the future economy
- Web-scale IT shows what technology can achieve
- Big data technology has its work cut out to harness web analytics
An enterprise-ready platform for unified communications, Microsoft Lync connects people for an everyday productivity experience on Windows 8 or other operating systems that includes mobile devices. Lync provides instant messaging, voice, video, meeting experiences, and more for a “consistent, single client experience” that CIOs can be proud to include in their organization.
- Lync Unified Client, Windows 8 App, Web App, Mobile Clients, Meeting, Federation
- Single Click Conference Join
- Contact Card
- Skype Connectivity
- Active Monitoring
- Meeting View
- Multiparty HD Video Gallery
- Persistent Chat
- OneNote Share
- Exchange Archiving
- Server Role Consolidation
- Scale and High Availability
Cost: Various Lync licensing options are available – check the Lync pricing and licensing guide or contact for a quote to fit your organization’s needs.
CIOs looking for a solution for enterprise social networking need to look no further than Chatter. Built on the Salesvorce1 Platform, Chatter allows organizations to customize actions and instantly deploy them to every desktop and device or give employees the option of accessing any app from the social feed quickly and easily. Making work social enhances communication and collaboration, and Chatter is the tool to get the job done.
- Feeds allow team members to keep up with projects, work together, and more
- Create instant actions that are instantly mobile for any business process
- Secure, social, mobile fire sharing
- Social intelligence
- Salesforce1 Mobile App available for download on the AppStore or Google play
- Chatter FREE: FREE with purchase of 1 CRM license – basic collaboration for your whole company up to 500 employees
- Chatter Plus: $15/user/app/month billed annually – social collaboration plus CRM features and customization
- Chatter in the Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, & Force.com: FREE if you use Salesforce; otherwise, contact for a quote – collaborate on files and receive updates from colleagues, follow accounts, post dashboard snapshots, and more
Available for Microsoft Windows, many Unix and Unix-type operating systems, Net-SNMP is a suite of applications for monitoring network and computer equipment as well as devices like UPSs. CIOs will appreciate the ease of use and efficiency of Net-SNMP for their organizations.
- Command-line applications to retrieve information from an SNMP-capable device, display MIB content and structure, and more
- A graphical MIB browser using Tk/perl
- A daemon application for receiving SNMP notifications
- An extensible agent for responding to SNMP queries for management information, including built-in support for a wide range of MIB information and modules, and more
CIOs are busy people who need to have working relationships with nearly everyone in their organization. Add that to everyone outside of the organization they have to meet with, and a CIO can spend more time going back and forth to meetings than anything else. GoToMeeting is a great solution for CIOs who are looking to collaborate and meet online, or even have a web conference, to save some precious time.
- Meet whenever you want
- Start an instant meeting or schedule for the future
- Start or attend from a Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, or Android device
- Attendees can join free by clicking the link or entering a meeting ID
- High-quality video conferencing and meeting tools
- Use an online administration center for managing meeting attendance and monitoring usage
- Integrate with your existing systems using APIs
Cost: FREE trial for 30 days
- Pro: $39/organizer/month, billed annually or $49/organizer/month, billed month-to-month – up to 25 participants, built-in phone and VoIP audio, unlimited product updates, high-definition video, 24/7 support, recording
- Pro+: $56/organizer/month, billed annually or $69/organizer/month, billed month-to-month – up to 100 participants, all Pro features, plus use GoToMeeting for large meetings and formal presentations
- Contact if purchasing for more than 40 organizers or for additional features for corporate accounts
Box has had the same mission since it was founded in 2005: “to make sharing, accessing, and managing content ridiculously easy.” Organizations need a tool for filesharing, and CIOs like tools that make their businesses perform at top levels; Box is the answer.
- Customer-driven approach with 24/7/365/ access to Help Center and Community, self-guided user trainings, access to expert advisors for change management, and more
- Customizable name-value pairs you can associate with any file
- Fine-grained permissions, HIPAA, 256-bit AES encryption, and more security features
- Manage users, groups, and enterprise settings, plus get detailed reports
- Personal: FREE – 1 user, 10-100 GB storage, 250 MB or 5 GB file size
- Starter: $5/user/month – 3-10 users, 100 GB storage, 2 GB file size
- Business: $15/user/month – minimum 5 users, unlimited storage, 5 GB file size
- Enterprise: $35/user/month – customized number of users, unlimited storage, 5 GM file size
David Chernicoff has published tech writings for more than 20 years and served in nearly every capacity in the industry from database developer to CTO. Now, David write the ZDNet blog, Five Nines: The Next Gen Datacenter, and explores IT topics of interest to CIOs, including how technology impacts data center users and operators, green IT, and more.
Three posts we like from Five Nines: The Next Gen Datacenter:
- Apple’s Reno data center ramps up for significant expansion
- MIT research shows the future of datacenter networking
- The bare-metal cloud continues to grow
With everything a busy CIO has to do, worrying about keeping utilities from various system utility suites updated should not be one of them. Windows System Control Center (WSCC) is a free, portable program that does the work for you.
- Install, update, execute, and organize the utilities from various system utility suites
- Install and update the supported utilities automatically or use the http protocol to download and run the programs
- No installation required
- Supports Windows Sysinternals Suite (including support for Sysinternals Live service)
- Supports NirSoft Utilities
- Latest version, 18.104.22.168 available July 23, 2014
Cost: Free for personal and commercial use
Your employees are using social media in their personal lives. Why not give them the opportunity to collaborate with Yammer, the Enterprise Social Network? CIOs love Yammer because their employees can collaborate in several ways, including across departments, locations, and business apps.
- Always stay connected with coworkers, information, and conversations
- Give a voice to everyone, regardless of his job description
- Use Yammer Group to discuss project deadlines, share files, get feedback, and more
- Built around open communication so everyone can benefit from sharing information, but private conversations are available
- Store all files in one place and create, share, and discuss content right from your browser
Cost: Yammer is sold with select Office 365 plans, so you can set up your network as part of the Office 365 product suite or as a standalone network
- Yammer Basic: FREE with a valid company email
- Yammer Enterprise Standalone: $3/user/month and activated through Office 365 – collaborate in a secure, closed network both internally and externally, feature-rich administrative capability, advanced security, integration options, and Microsoft support
- Office 365 for Business: starts at $8/user/month and plans are available for midsize business & enterprise levels – access the full cloud suite of Office productivity, communication and collaboration tools, with rich compliance and management features for IT
- Office 365 for Education: free and paid plans available as tiered plans for students, faculty, and staff – the full cloud suite of Office productivity, communication, collaboration, and IT management tools, specially priced for academic institutions
- *All monthly priced plans are based on an annual commitment
CIOs rely on InfoWorld when they want a source for the latest news in emerging enterprise technologies, including explanations of how the technology works and how they can use it to improve their business. InfoWorld Tech Watch is a blog within InfoWorld, written a group of InfoWorld’s staff and expert contributors, that provides insight for CIOs on key developments that are pertinent to the IT industry.
Three posts we like from InfoWorld Tech Watch:
- Famo.us talks big, but jQuery Foundation isn’t worried
- VMware stamps its imprint on OpenStack, with eye toward VM management
- Software testers balk at ISO 29119 standards proposal
ChangeGear’s Configuration Management Database (CMBD) helps CIOs achieve effective IT asset management by giving them control and visibility into the IT infrastructure. With an intuitive user interface, ChangeGear’s CMBD allows you to map and manage critical resources within one database.
- Discovery of assets, software configuration, and dependencies
- Extend the CMDB to contain custom resource types
- Add attributes and modify forms
- Business Policy Administration to easily create new business rules and set up IT process automation and notifications
- Integrates with Crystal Reports, or use the pre-defined reports or the built-in ad-hoc reporting tool
Cost: Contact for a quote
Networking and building relationships are two very important aspects of being a CIO, and XChange Events provides several opportunities to make those things more possible. XChange offers IT Channel events, IT Executive Events, and the XChange Network to give IT executives a chance to network, learn, meet, workshop, build brand awareness, and more. And, hthe XChange Events Blog is a great solution for CIOs who want to stay connected and informed when not physically attending the events.
Three posts we like from XChange Events Blog:
- Managing Modern Marketing Trends in Today’s Social World
- 6 Tips to Beat the Quick Fire Heat
- 2 Easy Paths for Leveraging Mobility
Forrester seeks to support CIOs with “proprietary research, consumer and business data, custom consulting, worldwide events, and peer executive programs – all tailored to your role.” One strategy for fulfilling their mission of support is through their CIO Blog. All of the posts are intended for CIOs, with the goal of aligning “actionable guidance” to your professional role.
Three posts we like from Forrester Blog for CIOs:
- Digitize Your Business Today or Prepare to Become Obsolete
- Creating a Software Engineering Group Becomes Key to Closing the Experience Gaps
- Top Technologies For Your BT Agenda
A blog focusing on the possibilities that exist for CIOs in the 21st century, Future of CIO also contains an open forum for discussing global through leadership. The site promotes the “Tao of IT leadership: leading IT to enlighten customers; enable business success via influence.” Blog posts cover topics of interest to CIOs, including the art of decision making, building teams, tech innovation, and more.
Three posts we like from Future of CIO:
Janco Associates, Inc., a management consulting firm, focuses primarily on management information systems and gaining a competitive advantage through the strategic application of information technology. Janco’s CIO Infrastructure Planning Tool Kit is one of the many tools the company offers to help CIOs reduce costs and improve profitability, as the Tool Kit contains a collection of Janco products that CIOs can use “to create an infrastructure, strategy, and manage in in the ever changing business environment.” There are a few versions of the Tool Kit available, so that CIOs can choose the version that best fits their organizations’ needs, priorities, and budget.
- CIO Infrastructure Planning Tool Kit – Standard: $1099 – includes IT Infrastructure, Strategy & Charter Template; IT Salary Survey; and IT Service Management for SOA Template
- CIO Infrastructure Planning Tool Kit – Silver: $1699 – includes all of the Standard version products, plus over 2600 internet and IT job descriptions
- CIO Infrastructure Planning Tool Kit – Gold: $2499 – includes all of the Silver version products, plus Internet and IT Job Descriptions HandiGuide and Functional Specification Template
*Additional products and update services also are available to add for purchase
CIO Summits are exclusive events, as CIOs in attendance are selected by CDM Media as the IT budget holders at their organizations. CIO Summits gather top IT execs from several vertical markets to discuss industry hot topics, trends, and challenges; and, CIO Summits are known for panel discussions, one-on-one business meetings, and networking opportunities.
Three resources we like from CIO Summits:
- Big Data Summit Video: Leverage Analytics to Manage Risk and Obtain Competitive Advantage
- Webinar: Key Considerations for Business & IT Continuity
- CIO Summit News
CIO Leadership, a blog sponsored by HP, addresses all of the issues facing CIOs who strive to be effective leaders beyond the IT realm. Blog posts, therefore, discuss the skills, managerial strategies, and critical foresight that CIOs need to possess in order to be true business leaders in their organizations.
Three posts we like from CIO Leadership:
- BYOD fading, IT regaining control?
- No company is immune to IT disasters
- Boost Security in the Cloud: Four Best Practices for CIOs
Automation is a feature that all CIOs like to see in their technology tools, and the HP CloudSystem has it. In fact, HP’s CloudSystem allows you to “automate end-to-end service lifecycle management for any cloud service, from infrastructure to application.” HP CloudSystem is a part of the HP Helion portfolio and delivered as an HP ConvergedSystem, to it is an enterprise-grade solution that integrates all of the hardware, software, and services you need.
- Built on a foundation of enterprise-grade OpenStack technologies
- Consumer-inspired interface to get users, admins, and architects quickly up to speed
- Ensure your data is compliant and protected with capabilities for policy-driven governance and recovery management built in
- FREE 90-day evaluation license for 25 OS-Instance
- Contact for a quote
From EMC, a “leader in IT and business transformation,” Watch4Net (now called EMC M&R) is core technology software delivering enterprise and carrier-class cross-domain performance and service-level management. When CIOs need to transform data into actionable information, Watch4Net is an intuitive solution.
- Cross-domain performance monitoring of infrastructure and data center components in real time from a single, customizable dashboard
- Troubleshoot performance problems with Watch4net’s proactive alerting
- Predefined or customized reports with an easy-to-use report wizard
- Unparalleled resource and service level optimization
Cost: Contact for a quote
CIOs understand the value of streamlining IT processes better than anyone, and ChangeGear offers its Change Management solution to help CIOs automate change control and compliance to help in that venture. ChangeGear’s Change and Release Management solution includes automating workflows, approvals, notifications, and a complete historical audit-trail.
- Simplify the adoption of IT controls such as ITIL, MOF, and COBIT
- Incorporates the best practices defined in the ITIL and harnesses the power of Microsoft’s .NET architecture
- Intuitive web interface for ease of use and deployment
- Report on all aspects of IT change activities using pre-defined reports or built-in ad-hoc reporting; integrates with Crystal Reports
Cost: Contact for a quote
SearchCIO is designed for the enterprise CIO and offers technology management strategies, advice, and best practices from an award-winning team of editors and “industry luminaries.” The site provides management-focused features, essential news and commentary, a variety of white papers, webcasts, and more for CIOs.
Three resources we like from SearchCIO:
- Social Media: IT Purchasers get social, marketers play catch up?
- Is prescriptive analytics the RX for optimal business outcomes?
- Six ways to measure the value of your information assets
Oracle is known for providing products and solutions for nearly every aspect in the enterprise, and its CIO Resources live up to Oracle’s standards. With information ranging from articles to strategies to webcasts, Oracles CIO Resources is a one-stop shop for CIO information.
Three resources we like from Oracle CIO Resources:
- Innovator’s Playbook Webcast: How Do Smart Companies Innovate?
- Trends in IT Services: Redefining the Economics of Technology
- Seizing Opportunities in Disruption to Drive Innovation
SharePoint allows CIOs to help employees connect across the enterprise and work together like never before. With SharePoint, you give your people the power to organize information, projects, and people, discover insights and connect with experts, create new experiences using familiar tools and internet standards, and more.
- Store all documents in one place and collaborate with colleagues in real time
- Mange personal and team tasks, project email, and more
- Integrate with Outlook and Project
- Personalized search results based on your intent and previous behavior
- SharePoint Online Plan 1: $3/user/month
- SharePoint Online Plan 2: $7/user/month – Plan 1, plus e-discovery and business intelligence
- SharePoint On-Premises: Contact for a quote
As president and CEO of IDG Enterprise, Michael Friedenberg oversees websites, products, and more for CIO, CIO Executive Council, CFOword, Computerworld, CSO, DEMO, InfoWorld, and others. An IT expert with more than 20 years of experience, Michael writes articles, newsletter, and analysis of particular interest for CIOs.
Three posts we like from Michael Friedenberg’s Blog on CIO:
- New Executive Skill Sets Emerge in CIO 100 Award Winners
- CIOs See Risks and Rewards in Startup Mania
- Two Critical Questions Every CIO Should Answer
Capgemini is “one of the world’s foremost providers of consulting, technology, and outsourcing services.” Capgemini’s Technology Blog, Capping IT Off provides the latest trends and news in technology and is authored by experts from SAP, Oracle, and others, giving CIOs a glimpse into their peers’ advice and thoughts.
Three posts we like from Capping IT Off:
- Information (Lifecycle) Governance
- Demand-oriented innovation in service sector
- The Test & QA Temperature – Environments and Data